Friday, October 15, 2010

Falling down the rabbit hole.

Computer status= was broken, now fixed, now can blog. "And now...for the rest of the story."

It was a cool, crisp autumn night. My heart was racing with excitement for the evening's festivities. One of my favorite live groups, EOTO, would be playing at the Bourbon Theatre. I walked briskly as the layers of my multi-colored skirt danced in the breeze. Suddenly, I was welcomed by a familiar sight that always brings a huge smile to my face. People of all shapes and sizes, dressed in wild colors and costumes, many with dreads down their backs, dancing, smoking cigarettes, sitting against the wall and people-watching, anticipating the show. It doesn't sound like much, but I had been waiting all night for this. I walked inside and the surroundings quickly faded to black, with neon, glowing light-sticks waving, beams of rainbows circling the room. The beats were hot and everyone was dancing. All I could think about was how my night was going to get more and more exciting. As time moved forward, my mind began to rearrange itself. Things began to shape-shift. The music got louder, more intense. I could feel it start to run through my veins. It was as if we were passionate lovers, becoming one. It moved my body. Stomping, twisting, waving my arms, closing my eyes and letting my hair unwind, free and wild, I let go of all inhibitions. The lights flashed. Strobes made everything move faster. Bongos. My heart pounded, thudded. Whomps. My feet stomped. All night, I danced, letting loose every ounce of stress from within my soul. I had, once again, returned to the rabbit hole, everything a swirl of colors and geometric patterns, everything so much more beautiful. In that moment, I could be myself and not care what anyone thought.

It's amazing the power that letting go for a minute can give you.
Only when I'm falling down, down, down...
colors and shapes,
bright lights,
music
...do I ever feel free.
Stress has taken its toll on me this week.
Tonight, though, I will be better.
Tonight, I will return.

No comments:

Post a Comment